Stress Reduction Centre
Rest and relaxation are as vital to our heart health as our fitness level. Without it, we can place added stress on our hearts, become burnt out, depressed, stressed and/or sick.
Taking some time to be still, mindful and quiet can reduce the fight or flight response, enhance our wellbeing and health and increase our resistance to stress.
As part of a healthy fitness program it is encouraged to choose one of the relaxation techniques below and practice it each day. It is best to start with the brief 3.5 min or 10 min practice and work up to the 20 min practice.
- Counted Breath Meditation (3.5 minute) – Start now | Download
- Belly Breathing Meditation (10 minute) – Start now | Download
- Body Scan Meditation (20 minute) – Start now | Download
For a more comprehensive and assisted program you may want to consider:
- Spending time with this sites creator, Sarah Harris Health Focused Personal Trainer for a one-on-one Skype session www.sarahharrishealth.com
- Enroll in an 8-week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course offered on line, at your local hospital or community-based program.
Here are a few MSBR course options:
Toronto General Hospital
200 Elizabeth Street
Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
Dr. Susan Abbey and Sarah Greenwood, RN, BScN
Please call to reserve your spot. Classes are held Monday morning, Monday afternoon or Wednesday evening.
The Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program at Toronto General Hospital is an eight-week course offered to patients, family members and staff who are experiencing a wide variety of symptoms, which cause life distress.
Google MBSR Training in your area.